Monday, May 11, 2015

In the Country of Men: Book Review

Reading about the way of life in an unstable and volatile country can really offer perspective. It can make you grateful for the things that you have, the little things that you take for granted.

In The Country of Men offers that perspective. It showed you the brutalities that occurred in Libya in 1979 and how the terrifying regime of that time affected the ordinary citizens of that country. Since the narrator is a nine-year-old boy, the events that take place are often misunderstood or not understood at all by the narrator but become evident to the reader over time.

I enjoyed the book and the new perspective that it gave me. I wasn't always happy with the narrator and was upset that he seemed to regress over time instead of progress. He seemed to mirror the state of the country and I guess that I just wanted him to be better than that. Overall, an informative and enjoyable read.