Friday, September 18, 2015

Book Review: Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad

This book was actually painful for me to read. I would take it in short chunks because I was determined to finish it. My husband wondered what was going on because I usually devour books. He asked why I didn't just stop reading it altogether. I thought about it but there aren't very many books that I've stopped reading once I've started (I can think of one) and I ultimately decided that this wouldn't be one of them. There were enough good parts in the book that it kept me reading.

The main problem with the book is that they should have just ripped out about half of it. It took forever to go anywhere and there was incessant dialog about nothing or about the same thing over and over again.

I'm really sad about how much I disliked this book. I was really looking forward to it because I love Heart of Darkness and hoped that Conrad would hold true to form in this book. Sadly, he did not.