Thursday, February 5, 2015

Writing Along

I'm in the middle of writing chapter 10 of my next book (which I still can't think of a title for), and I'm really liking it. The writing flows pretty quickly once I sit down to my computer. The problem is finding the time to sit down. I try to write at least five days a week and I'm usually able to hit that goal. But I never have a lot of time. Between juggling my kids (not actually because I'm a horrible juggler) and my technical writing job, I'm usually able to squeeze in 30 minutes to an hour.

I always find that at the end of that time, usually when my timer goes off or one of my kids desperately needs me, I always have more to write and am reluctant to stop. Which I think is a good sign. It probably means that I actually like what I'm doing.

So I started my book by doing a detailed outline, which has worked really well for me. Obviously things change during the actual writing process. Some chapters have moved. Some have been paired down. And some new chapters have been added. Having a plan is great, but you have to be flexible and allow your characters and your story to take you in different directions at times.

My husband has been working on a book trailer for The Watchers. He is extremely talented and the trailer is looking really good. I'm excited for everyone to see it once it's done. I'll keep you posted.