Monday, March 2, 2015

Book Review: Silas Marner

This slow-paced, introspective novel really takes you back to another age when everyone knew everyone and life was simpler. I enjoyed immersing myself in this book and left it feeling as if I would like to spend a couple of weeks in a lonely cottage in the English countryside.

I also enjoyed all of the ideas the book left me to contemplate, mainly the idea of happiness and whether or not it grows or decreases with wealth. The book tends to point to the fact that happiness is easier to attain through simple pleasures and meaningful relationships rather than affluence. I tend to agree, but it was a good reminder to be grateful for what I have and stop reaching for the stuff that I don't.

On a side note, when are we going to start calling George Eliot by her real name? I think it's about time that Mary Ann (Marian) Evans was referred to as the author of her own books instead of the male pen name that she chose because women were not as readily accepted as authors back in her time. Just a thought.