Sunday, November 9, 2014

Getting Started Again


My book, The Watchers, came in the mail and made me absolutely giddy. I actually achieved that goofy, grinning ear-to-ear, dopey face that only happens once in a great while, especially on me. But having the actual book in my hands means something. It means that my book is finished. It also means that it's time to start the second book in my trilogy.

Before I wrote The Watchers I did a basic outline of all three books and how they would fit together and I'd like to say that my outline was awesome and that I didn't need to deviate from it whatsoever, but that would be a lie. The Watchers was fun to write, but I learned a lot while doing it and the book itself went through many changes in the process. Needless to say, my overall outline needs tweaking.

So the first step in writing Book 2 (that's the book's name for now, which I know is incredibly awesome and I might even end up sticking with it) is creating an outline and then really fleshing that outline out. I've been working on that for a few hours over the past few days and really like how quickly everything is coming together.

I've created the basic outline and have done a lot of fleshing out. By the end of the outline process I hope to have each chapter listed and a summary of what happens within that chapter. After that, the actual writing process will go a lot smoother. I'll still need to do some research and a lot of playing around with dialogue, setting, character development, etc., but it will seem a lot more doable.

Baby steps, it's all baby steps!